This fall marks the launch of the broadest range of adult faith formation classes ever launched at Knox Church. You could look at these classes as simply opportunities to learn more about faith. But we suggest you see them as opportunities to build fundamental changes in your faith life!
BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 13: COVENANT BIBLE STUDY
Covenant Bible Study is a comprehensive, in-depth study of the whole Bible that emphasizes the Biblical concept of covenant as a unifying pattern through all the books in the Old and New Testaments. It underscores the unique relationship God chooses to have with us as God's people. Participants read and discuss the Bible together, learning how to love God -- and each other -- better!
Covenant: Creating will examine the stories of our origins in Genesis, the critical Exodus narrative about the freedom of God’s people, the stories of a new teacher in the Gospels of Matthew and Mark, and other Biblical books that highlight foundational aspects of Christian belief and practice. The group will meet:
- Women’s Covenant Community – second and fourth Wednesday of the month, 7:00pm, Beechwood House, beginning September 14.
- Beginning September 13, every Tuesday from 10:00am – 12:00pm in the Knox Room. Register below:
BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 13: TOPICS IN WISDOM – “ELDER TALES”
Wisdom is a complex and multifaceted concept that can best be explored through group discussions and personal reﬂection. Each semester we explore wisdom from different perspectives. This session we will look at the wisdom of elder tales, fairy tales that feature older protagonists. Elder tales present an alternative to the dominant heroic perspective and the unrealistic “happily ever after.” According to psychiatrist Allan Chinen, elder tales offer “a new image of maturity, centered around wisdom, self-knowledge, and transcendence.
- Every Tuesday’s 7:00 pm – September 13 – October 18 @ Mulder-Gibbs home
- Register below:
Beginning September 15: Theology on Tap
Some of the most important moments in the history of the church took place in the pub: Luther kick started the Reformation over a few pints. The Church of England was started in the White Horse tavern. Hymns like ‘Love Divine, All Loves Excelling’ were inspired by pub music. And seemingly all the best conversations take place in the pub. The format is simple: beer, conversation, and God. Everything is up for discussion, no assumptions, no barriers to entry. In a nutshell, it’s people sitting around a table, talking about issues of faith and philosophy, ethics and ideas over a beverage.
- Third Thursday of the month, beginning September 15 at 6:00pm (location TBD)
- Register below:
Beginning October 2: Online Formation Group – Parables in Luke
- Week One (10.2): Mustard Seed – Luke 17:5-10 & Chapter 5
- Week Two (10.9): Lost Son – Luke 15:11-32 & Chapter 1
- Week Three (10.16): Widow & the Judge – Luke 18:1-8 & Chapter 8
- Week Four (10.23): The Pharisee & the Tax Collector – Luke 18:9-14 & Chapter 6
- Week Five (10.30): The Good Samaritan – Luke 10:25-37 & Chapter 5
- Week Six (11.6): The Power of Disturbing Stories – Conclusion + Invitation
No pre-registration needed.
On-going: Knox Book Group
New York Times best sellers, classics, and light reading alike are the focus of lively discussions for this group that meets monthly. Contact moc.l1495674676iamto1495674676h@sbb1495674676igmac1495674676ceber1495674676 for information. No pre-registration necessary.
Later this year: “Reel” Theology
Join us during the advent series as we explore different perspectives on Christian theology as found in your favorite Christmas movies. Details and registration information coming later this fall.